Floriculture & Landscape Architecture
General Info Floriculture and Landscape Architecture
Director of Laboratory: Professor M. Papafotiou
Objects - Aims:
Object of Laboratory of Floriculture and Landscape Architecture is the teaching and research on:
- Culture techniques of field and under cover floricultural crops, soilless cultures, applied physiology of growth and flowering, methods of propagation-micropagation, post-harvest physiology and handling, flower arrangement, introduction of new species for cultivation, biology, cultivation and management and science of turfgrasses.
- Theoretical and applied practices of Landscape planning in urban, agricultural and forestal environment, studies on parks plantings, athletic centers, gardens etc., landscape reclamation after damage from large scale technical works (road construction etc.), reclamation and development of downgraded regions (Tips, Quarries etc.) aiming at their integration in the natural environment. Studies of environmental impact.
The Laboratory of Floriculture and Landscape Architecture is located in the Krimbas building.
+30 210 5294553
Research Floriculture and Landscape Architecture
Research Interests :
- Propagation and micropropagation, growth regulation and flowering of ornamentals and floricultural plants, as well as of indigenous species with potential floricultural use.
- Introduction of composts from agricultural wastes as peat substitutes in the production practice of ornamentals and floricultural crops.
- Postharvest handing of cut flowers and foliages
- Preserve and drying foliages and flowers
- Photoacclimation of foliage and other plants
- Hydroponics and soiless cultures of ornamental plants
- Turfgrass establishment and maintenance for athletic fields, golf courses, land reclamation and slopes. Studies of agrochemical leaching through turfgrass profiles.Allelopathy of garden plants, weeds and turfgrasses
- Landscape architecture and garden design focusing on land reclamation, urban horticulture, protection of environmentally sensitive areas and roof garden constructions.
- Restoration of landfills and sloped areas.
Projects of Floriculture and Landscape Architecture Laboratory
- “Bioclimatic Planting design of the Container Terminal of Piraeus Port” (2015). Financed by the Piraeus Port Authority S.A.
- “ARCHEOSCAPE - Integrated Vegetation Management in Archaeological Sites for Monument Protection and Enhancement of the Historic Landscape” - THALIS (2012-2015). The research program was co-financed by Greece and the European Union, under the egis of the Eduvation and Lifelong Learing operational program, NRSF 2007-2013.
- Bilateral S & T Cooperation between Greece and China 2012-2014 - "Research and Technological Cooperation on Selection and Recommendation Substrates and Plant Compositions for green roofs". NSRF
- “Planning of the maintenance of Pedion Areos Park and Attikon Park” (2009-2010). Financed by the Prefecture of Attika.
- Open Academic Courses - 'Open Academic Courses AUA. " (2012-2015). NSRF
- ATLAS-Graduate Undergraduate students AUA. (2012-2105). NSRF
- LEONARDO DA VINCI - «Urban Greening Systems for the Mediterranean Region» (2013-2015). EU.
- COST FA1203-SMARTER - Sustainable management of Ambrosia artemisiifolia in Europe. (2012-2015). EU.
- Rehabilitation and Improvement of the urban and suburban landscape of the Municipality of Neapolis, Lasithi (2009-2010). Financed by the Municipality of Neapolis
- Green Waste Management AUA. (2009-2011). Financed by A.U.A.